Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Village of WaltonvilleVillage of Waltonville

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: City Government > breadcrumbs: About Us > breadcrumbs: History >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

About Waltonville

Waltonville is located in Jefferson County, Illinois and is part of the Mount Vernon Micropolitan Statistical Area. Although Waltonville is located mainly in Bald Hill Township, it is at the northeast corner. Blissville, McClellan and Elk Grove Prairie Townships adjoin Waltonville. The population was 434.

In 1840, Eli Gilbert dammed Rayse Creek about a mile northeast of Waltonville, near the point where the Mt. Vernon/Pinckneyville road crossed the creek. He built a saw mill, grist mill and store at this location, which was called "Mill Town". In 1860, Knob Creek Post Office was opened there. This was in McClellan Township.

In 1867, a settlement called Williamsburg was started, about a half mile west of Mill Town. This was in Knob Prairie, Blissville Township, just to the north of the present town of Waltonville. Knob Prairie got its name due to a steep hill, or knob, that arises just to the northwest of Waltonville. The town's water tower now sits atop the knob. Waltonville, south of the knob, started as a small store owned by Rob Mannen. The town was named for his mother, Eliza A. Walton Mannen. The town took off in 1893 with the completion of a rail line from Mt. Vernon to Chester.

Many underground coal mines were opened near Waltonville. Immigrants, mostly from Poland, came to work the mines.  By the 1950s, the rural areas West of Waltonville were predominantly Polish, and the main language spoken was Polish. That language slowly faded with the advent of television. Today, only a few people speak any Polish. Many still identify as Polish.

Village of Waltonville406 N Broadway StreetWaltonville, IL  62894

p. 618.279.7226

Sign up for the News Update.

Back To Top